I am often asked by clients for advice on how to change their state – from a low mood to a more positive, motivated one, or maybe just to “be happy”. In asking this question they are revealing a belief that they don’t already know how to do it for themselves.
The truth is we all know how to change our state. Even after a hectic day, we all fall asleep at night and we are all capable of relaxing and daydreaming – we are unconsciously competent. In order to be able to change our state whenever we choose we need to become conscious of our innate ability.
One of my favourite ways to choose to generate a positive, happy state is to recall a time when I felt that way. For me this is to remember a warm late spring day sitting in a bluebell wood, seeing the electric blue of the bluebells with the sun shining through the leafy canopy of the trees above. I remember the sounds of the birds in the trees and as the picture becomes even clearer I can smell the heady aroma of the bluebells. I am sitting on a fallen log, feeling a sense of “aliveness” washing through my body and I have a sense that all is well. The sensations start to become so strong that it is as if my whole body is tingling.
The interesting thing about accessing a memory like this is that we can remember the pictures and the sounds and recreate them in our head, but in order to recreate a feeling, we actually have to experience it now.
Try this out for yourself
- Sit comfortably with both feet flat on the floor and your hands resting on your thighs.
- Close your eyes and think of one of the most happy/positive or relaxing moments that you’ve ever experienced.
- As you think about this wonderful moment, make the experience even more vivid by bringing to mind any other sensations, such as accompanying pleasant sounds and smells, the feel and texture of things around you, and most importantly the positive emotions that come from remembering this situation. Notice where these feelings or sensations are located, are they inside your body or outside? Do they have a temperature? Are they moving?
- Imagine yourself there, once again fully experiencing this place. Spend as long as you like remembering that relaxing moment.
- Enjoy feeling those same sensations now
This is a phenomena used in all manner of NLP, self-hypnosis, guided visualistation and meditation practice.In order to be able to change our state whenever we choose we need to become conscious of our… Click To Tweet
If you’d like to find out more about more about this and other personal development techniques why not sign up for one of our one-day taster self-hypnosis taster course here https://ukcpd.net/courses/personaldevelopment/power-of-self-hypnosis